10.13.2008

Not Just In An Ordinary Way

The song that Karl sang during communion yesterday has been in my mind quite a bit lately. It's by Chad Marvin at Second Baptist, Boise, and the lyric that is stuck in my head is in bold:

There's a stirring in my heart to worship You,
It's getting stronger everyday.
There's a stirring in my heart to worship You
And not just in an ordinary way.

'Cause You are anything but ordinary,
Anything but common place,
Way beyond extraordinary
So what I want to do

Is run to You and find Your presence,
Let it shine upon my face
Your calling is the very essence of the stirring in my heart
To worship You.

We treat God like He's common place and ordinary, yet He is anything but. We treat God like a side of fries, but He's really the main course. We treat Him like dessert, we can take Him or leave Him, it's good, but optional. God is not optional. God is everything, and He is calling us to Himself, calling us to a closer relationship with Him. Just like we talked about on Sunday, God is calling His people to love Him and listen to His voice. I hope you'll hear it, because God is calling us to read His word and hear His heart in it's pages.

It was a powerful moment on Sunday - both services - when we took communion and recommitted to follow God's commands. I sat on platform and watched person after person come up and remind themselves of the sacrifice of Jesus for them, and commit again to follow His commands. I was touched by the changed lives that I see in our congregation and the work that God is doing in our lives together. Every time we do communion, I am reminded of the places God has brought people out of and the life He has given to them. The baptisms were another reminder of the lives that are changing around us.

I said it again on Sunday, and I believe it more each day: God is on the move in the Portneuf Valley, and we have the privilege of trying to keep up. Run with me! :)

No comments: