2.22.2010

The Week of Last

My daughter Rachel woke up today and said, "Today is my last Monday at school." She is the one who's having the hardest time with our move, and the weight of her 'lasts' seems to be heaviest. I resisted the urge to tell her that there will be a lot more Mondays in her life, and a lot more Mondays of school for that matter. Instead I hugged her and told her it was going to be good, so she might as well get started.

It's getting down to the wire, and I am seeing the 'lasts' of my time in Pocatello piling up. I know that we will be back to visit - both kids were born here, we've made life-long friendships here, and Beth loves Buddy's salads, so of course we're coming back - but everyone knows that coming for a visit isn't the same.

So I'm trying to find the joy in my 'lasts' when I can. The last trip to the Bannock County Jail to visit prisoners. The last staff meeting. The last lunch at the country club (note: I was never a member, but did harbor aspirations...). All the last dinners with friends. The last LLC was today (much love to my group - I carry you in my heart!). And I went to the Cancer Center for the last time as a patient today. Six years after being diagnosed, they are sad to see me go, but glad I'm going under my own steam. And, my cholesterol was down!!!

I realized that some of my lasts were a while ago, but I didn't know it at the time: my last wedding here, my last funeral here, my last time to pray at the city council meeting, my last Cancer Survivor Picnic here, my last Relay for Life here. Without knowing it, I attended my last Bengal game and celebrated my last Christmas here. These things that I didn't know were ending for me here, but now I look back and remember.

This week will have a few more 'lasts': my last staff lunch. My last Pastor's Prayer gathering. My last day in the office. My last message to my church family. My last goodbye to these people whom I love so dearly. One last party as your pastor here.

I have tried to imagine what it would feel like to leave, and it's tougher than I thought. Each step carries with it a fresh load of emotions and tears. But at the same time, I am starting to get some excitement for what is in front of me, and what is in front of FBC Pocatello. I'm getting fired up about what God wants to do next, but that's for the next post. For now, I'm just living and learning from the 'lasts.'

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh I've played the 'last' game so many times in my life! And I know the trauma of moving. Not of leaving a church that I had pastored for years, though, so we are praying for you guys! Here's hoping this last week for you will be a great one! Love to you all.