2.15.2010

Juggling Act

I learned to juggle about 16 years ago as a part of my youth ministry days. I wanted to be able to do something unusual to get the kid's attention, and juggling seemed like an easy way to do it. I bought the Klutz book on juggling (it came with it's own practice beanbags), and practiced until I could do it reasonably well. I pulled out the juggling a few times over the years, and if I get an hour to practice, I could get my coordination back in shape.

But right now, I'm juggling more than I ever thought I could. :)

So in the midst of ending well at FBC Pocatello, and trying to get my stuff packed to move, and saying goodbye to longtime friends, and leading my staff here toward the interim and the future, and getting up to speed about ministry at LifePoint, and shepherding my family through the transition, and getting my change of address form in to the Post Office, and keeping my parents in the loop, and setting up appointments for baby dedications... I realized I'm juggling everything in my life right now. :)

Most times, we watch a juggler and wonder how he does it, will he drop something, or will he catch the wrong end of something sharp. I once watched a guy in San Francisco juggle a chain saw, a bowling ball, a machete, and an apple. It was like a car wreck - I couldn't turn away! He survived, and actually, it was amazing to watch.

But I need to ask you for prayer instead of observation. I know many of you are praying for me and my family as we make this transition. Here's some specifics I'd like to ask you to focus on in prayer:
  • Pray that my time at FBC is good, effective ministry. I don't want to coast to the end, and I don't want anyone to think I gave half an effort in finishing. I want to finish well.
  • Pray that my wife and kids are healthy and strong during this move, that they can and will get done all that they need to in order to finish well with friends, packing and changing schools.
  • Pray for my staff team here at FBC, the leaders and the elders. They are all feeling the tension of the transition in different ways, and they all need strength, wisdom and courage. I've been where they are once before, and I know that it's not easy duty to serve a church during an interim. Pray that they continue to do the terrific work they do for this church and for the Lord.
  • Pray for the staff team at LifePoint. They are getting a new boss, and that has to be at least a little unnerving. They have a current Senior Pastor to say goodbye to, and they want to honor him well and be ready to welcome us, too. Help them to have wisdom and grace to do both of those things at the same time while still trying to get Easter planned.
  • Pray for the interim pastor that is coming to FBC, and for the pastor that is out there being groomed and prepared by God to come serve the people of Pocatello. God's plan is good, and He's been at work getting someone ready to step into this amazing miracle of a church, so pray that God gets the right person ready for the right job.
  • Pray for two great messages to end on here, and a great series to start on there.
  • Pray for safe travel for my family. I'd like our stuff to get there in one piece, but I'd prefer my family over my stuff, so please focus there.
  • Pray for the details - the mind-numbing amount of details - that we have to slog through over the next two weeks to come together and not leave off until the last minute.
  • Pray for our house here to sell, the right price, the right buyer, the right timing. Then, when that's over, pray for the right house to buy there, the right price, the right seller.
Yeah, that's a long list. Thanks for helping me juggle.

No comments: