2.24.2010

Lunch

Today was an important day. Our staff has had a tradition of doing lunch out together for special occasions. Birthdays mainly, Administrative Professional's Day for sure, but some other stuff once in a while, too. After staff meeting on a Wednesday we go. Sometimes it's a surprise where we end up, sometimes it's a vote, sometimes it's the choice of the 'honoree.'

Today was my last staff lunch as the pastor of FBC Pocatello.

They let me pick, so we went to Red Lobster (which was everyone's guess ahead of time), and once again we sat around a large, round table and talked, ate and enjoyed each other. It has been my privilege to serve with some amazing people over the years, and to have lunches with them and celebrate. This one was no different. Lots of laughter, lots of shrimp, lots of fun with people I love.

I wish that we could have another lunch and have Beth, Becky, Troy, Tait, Nico, Bill, Brittney,Quentin, Patti, Megan, Linda, Brian, Kyle, Becky and Diana there, just to be the full history of the FBC Staff while I've been here, but that will have to wait until the 125 anniversary of the church (circle your calendar for November, 2016!).

I got to tell them once again how much I love them, how I am confident in their ministry and the future of FBC, and how I'm invested in them personally into the future, whatever future that is for them. These are great people, doing great work with great hearts, and I'm proud of them, proud to serve with them, and proud to call them friends. FBC Family, you are blessed to have such great people working with you and leading you.

I got asked what my favorite part of being on staff with these folks was, and the answer came easier than I expected. As much as I have loved doing ministry day to day with everyone, my favorite part has always been the road trips. The trips to Saddleback, the Nightmare at Deer Lodge, the Boise trip, Seattle, even the infamous Tri Cities trek are all special memories. Being out of our context, being real people together, talking, dreaming, eating good food, and having some unhurried time on the road has always been some of the best fun and most productive think/plan/dream time. Terms like, "Roma-rita," "Red Roof Inn," "Anger Management," and "We're together...not TOGETHER..." all invoke an insider's smile and warm memories for me.

I will miss coming to the office and seeing you, I will miss working and worshiping with you, and I will miss being molded and shaped by your lives and ministries. May God bless each of you - Karl, Stacy, Kathy, Aaron, Chris and Vern. I love you, and I can't wait to see what God does in and through each of you in the days and years to come.

No comments: