12.22.2008

Make The Ask

I'm glad that the snow held off Sunday until after church, and I'm glad that my Seahawks won against the Jets, but that was not the best part of the day by far. Baptizing people never gets old!!

I wish you could see the looks on people's faces when they stand up in front of the church family and tell you what Jesus means to them. Every time, no matter how nervous they are, no matter what their life has been or how much they have to say about it in that moment, their eyes tell the whole story. They always shine with a sense of anticipation - God has done a work in my life, and He's not done yet, but I'm here now! It's why I end up blurting out: I Love My JOB! at each baptism. I never get tired of seeing lives change, and I never get tired of celebrating that new life with the folks who were there to make it possible - the First Baptist Church Family.

I love how folks clap and cheer for each person that gets baptized. I love how folks smile and enjoy watching someone share their new found hope in Jesus. I love how people give and serve and pray for the sake of other people coming to know Jesus like we know Jesus. I love how people come out of the water and the first thing their hear is the echo of Heaven's applause in the cheering of God's people. I love it! No doubt, when I'm not feeling my best, when I'm not feeling effective in my ministry, when I want to quit and go stack lumber at Home Depot, the memory of those moments keeps me coming back.

I especially loved Sunday, because both of the people being baptized have amazing stories of God's love and redemption. I hope you get to hear those stories soon, but the part of Misty's story I shared Sunday is important: she came to Christ because someone brought her to Christmas Eve service last year! Read that sentence again. Now, read it again.

Yes, inviting people to church is powerful and important ministry. That's why I do it, and that's why you need to do it. Wherever you are (this is a shout out to all the folks outside of Poky who read the Roof Crashers - thanks! You don't know how much that encourages me!), invite someone to church this week. We have three services to try to fit around people's schedules, so invite someone. You never know when you will be lighting a candle at a baptism because you cared enough to invite a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor, a classmate, a client. Make the ask. Let God worry about the details, just make the ask.

I'm going to be a little hit and miss the next couple of weeks, because I'm taking some time off after Christmas to spend with my family, so in case I don't get the chance to say it later, Merry Christmas, and may the blessings of Jesus come into your heart and life in a fresh way this year!

No comments: