3.16.2010

Learning The Rhythm

My friends have asked how my 'first' weekend at LifePoint went. I thought it went great, and I've got a lot to learn. It wasn't my first time preaching, and it wasn't my first weekend as pastor here, but it was my first time preaching as pastor here, and it was great. I was glad to get off on the right foot, and extra glad for all the folks who were praying so hard for God to show up, because He did. I can't wait for this weekend and to keep rolling on what it means to Follow Jesus. I've heard some great stories already about folks taking seriously the call to Live Like Jesus and serve the way He served. That gets me fired up!!

Now a quick confession: There's a sense of rhythm that happens to almost anything, and especially when you do something regularly, like say a pastor preaching a message each week. I have a great feel for Sunday mornings with two services, because I've done that for a long time, but the Saturday night thing baffled me. When do I start getting ready? When do I get my 'game face' on? What should I eat? Should I eat? I had no idea about any of that stuff.

Pastors and other leaders: when you're doing something that's new, like adding a new service, or starting a new schedule, do yourself a favor and learn from my mistake: ask someone who's done it what the important issues are to consider before you jump into it. When I led a church to go from one service to two, I asked folks about the difference it makes having two services, and I got great advice (number 1 thing: don't skip breakfast!), but I forgot to ask about what to think about on Saturday nights.

Asking for advice is good. The Bible is clear: "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." Prov. 15:22 (NIV) How did I blow that one? Not every counselor is right, but if you don't ask any, you miss the chance to get the help that God's offering you.

So pray for me (some more...) that I keep asking God to show me who to listen to, and then that I hear from God through the advice of wise counsel. And that I figure out Saturday this week. :)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like things are exciting there and going well. I'm glad and trying not to be jealous. Keep praying for us in Pocatello (as I'm sure you are) as it seems like a spark is missing or something.

Bill McCready said...

I pray for you guys every day. Don't be jealous, there's so much work to be done, and I'm sprinting to catch up. Feels like I'm trying to drink from a fire hydrant. God is good, and it's all getting done, both here and there. :)