7.23.2009

Time Alone With Jesus

The best thing about Study Leave so far has been the daily, unhurried time I've been able to spend in reading my Bible and praying. It's been a wonderfully refreshing time each day. I've taken the approach that I need to slow down, not try to hurry through and check this off my 'TO DO' list each day, but take some real time to reflect on what I read, and then write out a prayer based on what I heard from God. It's been really good for my heart and my mind to connect to the heart and mind of God each day.

I'm doing an extended quiet time each day, and how much of that I can take with me past Study Leave remains to be seen, but I'm reading some Psalms each day, a chapter from the Book of Acts, and then three or four chapters from Paul's letters. Here's my thinking in this:

Psalms are prayers, written in song lyrics, like poetry and praise songs. Many times, when I am feeling the pressure of ministry, I like to go back to Psalms and see how King David and the others who wrote these amazing lyrics talked to God about their lives and struggles. I'm strengthened by their resolve to trust God for rescue and redemption, even as they confess sin and acknowledge their need of God's love and forgiveness. It's a good place to go for inspiration and the reminder that it's not always easy, but if it's for God, He's always watching, waiting to give whatever is needed, just in the nick of time.

Acts is the story of the first Christ followers as they took the words of Jesus seriously and went into the world to do what He told them to do. It's a complacency busting book. These unschooled, 'normal' people took what they had seen and heard from Jesus and simply told people, did what the Spirit led them to do, and watched as tens of thousands of people in the very city where Jesus was crucified become followers of this martyred rabbi. They didn't sit back and watch, they engaged and followed the Spirit's leading. While miracles and amazing growth followed them, so did persecution and attacks. It's a reminder to me that this isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be hard, and it's supposed to grow. The two go together, because Jesus suffered to save everyone. That means everyone can and needs to be saved, and it will require suffering.

Paul's letters are clear lessons to the church about life in Christ. We all need to be reminded of what God has said to us, and Paul was dealing with all types of issues in his different churches. Frankly, nothing much has changed in 2000 years when it comes to human nature, so we have all the same issues today - gossip, disunity, people not listening to the clear teaching of God's word, folks chasing after personalities rather than chasing after Jesus, the list goes on.

As a Christ follower first (before husband, father, pastor, friend, etc...), I need to be reminded over and over about these issues, from God's love to His plan for the church to the specifics of obeying what His word has laid out for us. If you have a regular time with God each day (you don't have to spend as much time on it as I am right now), I pray it will continue to be a source of strength for you. If not, why not start today? Start with a single book, like Luke or John, and take a chapter a day (it's not about coverage). Ask God to show you something from what you read, then read and reflect on it for a minute. Let God speak to you, and He will.

Keep praying, God is showing me some great stuff during this time. I'm feeling my heart fill up and my batteries recharge.

No comments: