7.13.2009

Begining Study Leave 2009

Today is my last day in the office for a while, as I will be on Study Leave starting tomorrow (July 13). I will be out until Tuesday, Aug. 11.

Here's what Study Leave is about: when I came to Pocatello in 1996, my contract included a sabbatical after 6 or 7 years of service. A sabbatical is usually a three to four month break from the daily work of pastoring to get refreshed, refocused and maybe even do some retooling (a class, some seminars, etc...) to come back stronger and ready for the work of ministry. Not a lot of pastors get sabbaticals, because most don't last past the five or six year mark of their ministry in one church.

For a number of reasons (I won't go into all the details here, but feel free to ask me sometime), the church leadership and I were not able to work out a sabbatical after seven, eight, or nine years. Some folks were concerned that three or four months of me being gone would cause problems in our ministry, so a compromise was reached. Instead of one long sabbatical, a shorter break more often was proposed. A four week break to study, recharge, refocus and prepare for the upcoming ministry year was created.

We've been doing this for a few years now, and have learned a few things about this process:
  • First, we have published the 'agenda' of the Study Leave so that folks can see what I'm going to be doing during my time away. (available outside the church office)
  • Second, here on the blog, I'll update folks each week with what's going on, and later publish reviews of the books I'm reading.
  • Third, we've come to understand that because not everyone receives this kind of a benefit in their job, we in church leadership need to do a better job explaining it to people.
The staff and Elders are available for any emergencies, and I will be in contact with them should an emergency arise that would require my attention. Last year, the study leave was very helpful, and I'm especially looking forward to this one. I am particularly in need of some space and time to pray and think about all that God has done, is doing, and wants to do next here at FBC Pocatello, and I am very grateful to the Elders, staff and other leaders who are able to let me take that time and keep my focus on Jesus.

We are about to turn a corner, both as a church family and as a pastor/church relationship. I'm going to finish my 14th year of being the pastor here, and it can now be said that we've been in a long term relationship. I've lived here longer than I've lived anywhere else in my life, and I believe God wants to do something great in and through this church family. There have been and no doubt will continue to be struggles. I'm learning, I'm trying to grow as a Christ follower and as a leader, and I see signs of growth in our life together. God wants to see us continue to be a part of His movement in this valley, and there are productive days of ministry yet ahead.

This is a time that should be celebrated!! For the sacrifice of giving me up for four weeks (and really, it's not about me around here, its about Jesus, so its going to keep going just fine), you're going to hopefully get back a rested, focused, and ready-to-lead pastor in return.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I appreciate you Bill, and will be praying for your time to get energized, focused and filled.