7.20.2009

Blog Milestone: 100 Posts

Not that it's any big achievement to start a blog and prattle off 99 opinions/ideas/musings, but here we are at post 100. I originally set out to try to increase communication and let folks have a glimpse into the heart and mind of one pastor in S.E. Idaho. To be honest, the results have been surprising on many levels:

Tracking software lets me know that this blog has been read in many of these United States (Idaho, Tennessee, Oregon are always the top three), and in several countries around the world. Imagine the surprise of seeing London, Brussels and Japan show up on the map. The latest surprise: Brazil!! Who knew people in Pelotas would be interested in Roof Crashing. :)

Sometimes, as I have been learning about this type of communication, I've apparently insulted, hurt or bothered some people. That was never my intent, so if that is you, I'm sorry. I'm learning. Turns out, as a human being, a sinner, saved by God's grace, I've got some work yet to do in my life. I may not get it right in the future, but I'd sure love it if you prayed for me. Turns out, God's still at work here.

For all the miscommunication and missed-communication, I've really enjoyed this medium. I've been able to share some lessons as God was teaching them to me. I've been able to share some of my journey as I've seen good things happen, like baptisms, and tough things, like doing funerals for close friends. I've been able to update folks on my study leaves and vacations (two DIFFERENT things), and talk about what's coming up in the life of my First Baptist family.

Folks have commented on my posts, which I always enjoy. Interaction is part of this medium, and I enjoy it. I do moderate comments, but it's rare that I reject a comment. As you can imagine, talking about sex in church drew the most comments!

Others have used my blog as a jumping off point for other reading. I like and even endorse the names you see linked here, but I can't be held responsible for everything they say. I link to people who inspire and challenge me, but I'm not in charge of what other people write. I'm not trying to be these people, nor am I trying to emulate or defend them. I try to make it a habit to learn and be stretched by different parts of the larger body of Christ. Read them at your own risk.

I don't have a good measure of how 'successful' this blog has been; I think it's too early to tell if this has been a help or a hindrance to God's kingdom. The number of people reading has steadily gone up, from barely 100 at first to over 600 per month now. The number of people who comment on posts varies from post to post, and the number of people who reference it when they are mad at me varies from month to month. If this has been a help to you, let me know. If not, let me know why not. In the meantime, I'm sure there will be more to say, and thank you to each of you who read it. May God bless you and make you a blessing, with or without this blog's help.

No comments: