5.21.2009

Doing What You Love

I love to laugh. I love to make people laugh. I like the sound of laughter, and I think that Heaven is going to sound a lot like a comedy club at full roar. I may be on thin theological ice, but I'm pretty sure that the angels laugh a lot, and Jesus has had to laugh at some of the stupid things I've done in life. Laughter is good for the body (it exercises your insides) and your soul ("A cheerful heart is good medicine," Prov. 17:22).

So when I get to make people laugh, I feel good. That's part of why I use humor on Sundays in my messages, because it's a part of me and who God made me to be. If I was a better story teller, I'd do that. If I was great at writing poetry that connected to people, I'd do that. I'm not either of those things; God made me funny. The fact that it helps people to relax and to pay attention when I'm talking about the challenging and difficult issues of faith in Christ is a bonus. I'm just trying to be true to how I was made so that I can bring glory to God. Not everyone likes a funny pastor. For some folks, like slugs and rock salt, the two just don't go together. I get that. I'm not everyone's cup of mocha.

But here's the great part: when God gives you something that you're good at, and something that can bring glory to Him, He's also going to give you opportunities to use it. Count on that. For years, we've done a Comedy Night reach out event at our church, but because of financial constraints, we couldn't do it this year. That bummed me out, because I think it's a good way to show the community that we Christians have a sense of humor (Okay, some of us do...).

But God has given me other outlets for the 'gift of comedy' He's given me. Two weeks ago, I was asked to do a stand up set at a church in Oak Harbor, WA. It was a great time, the church was fantastically fun (Clint Webb, you rock!), and Beth and I had a great time. One lady who was there was dealing with stage 4 brain cancer, and a friend of hers told me afterward that she and her husband hadn't laughed that hard in a long, long time. God used my humor to bless those precious people while they were dealing with the darkest time of their lives. Praise God.

I was just asked to do some stand up at the annual National Cancer Survivor's Day celebration here in Pocatello. I'll share details later, but I'm jacked up about it. I can't wait to make people laugh, and bring glory to God for His healing work in my life over the past 5 years. Please pray for me about this, I want it to go well. Thank you to all who are praying for me right now, it's been a tough season, and the prayers are making a difference. Keep it up!! And if you're a survivor in town that day, make plans to be there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is there a tape of the gig in Oak Harbor?

Bill McCready said...

As dangerous as this is, I will tell you, yes, there is a recording. It is a good quality recording of a lame attempt at a 45 minute set. I probably have 15 good minutes interspersed in it. If you email me, I can maybe get a copy to you.