3.18.2009

Mid Week and My Head is Full

I wanted so much to get back on schedule with my posts, but Monday, my head was full of gunk. I have a head cold that started last Friday, got worse Sat., was bearable on Sunday, but when I got done teaching CLASS 101 (4 people, great questions, good class!), I was done. I went home, collapsed in a pile, and Monday, couldn't get out of bed.

By 10 am, when I dragged myself up to the table for some toast, I was mostly miserable. Then heading in to the office, I kept asking myself: why? Don't pastor's get a sick day? I just kept putting one foot in front of the other all day, and by the end, I felt like I had accomplished some work on the message for Sunday, gotten some good feedback from people, and had a handle on what the rest of the week would be about.

But I'm still fuzzy on the inside of my head. I've got a cough, and my ears are stuffed up. I feel like an overfull balloon.

It's hard to serve Jesus with Joy when you feel like... sickness. But even on the days when I don't feel like it, there is a way to move forward in my work, my family, and my life as a Christ follower. One foot in front of the other. One step at a time.

I'm not going to be perfect in my life ( a message I try very hard to remind people of as I go), but I can get a little closer to Jesus if I keep putting one foot in front of the other. I don't have to be a prayer warrior, I just need to pray today. I don't need to be a Bible scholar, I just need to hear from Jesus in His word today. I don't need to save everyone I meet for the rest of my life. I just need to shine God's love today.

Anyone else feel like this? Plus or minus the head cold?

1 comment:

Charles Revis said...

Bill, your last paragraph is golden. Being a disciple is much more a matter of obedience done day by day in a long direction, than trying to attain some lofty description, which Jesus doesn't care about anyway. Hey, pastors are supposed to take care of themselves. So, if you are sick, you're sick. I hope you get a day or two of rest this week. You can always buy a used sermon from me if you can't finish your own, hah!