1.27.2009

You've Never Really Lost Something...

A friend of mine went to be with Jesus on Monday morning. It hurts to think about how much I will miss ReNee, and how much it hurts to see her husband, Lance, start to figure out life without her. Her kids are going to grow up with her as a memory instead of a real presence in her life, and it makes me sad. It puts me in mind of my own battle with cancer and how unfair illness, disease and life really are. I hugged my kids a little more tightly, and I kissed my wife a little more gently yesterday.

But as bad as I feel, I can't stop thinking this one thot: someone once told me that you've never really lost something if you know exactly where it is. I hurt for Lance and the kids, and I hurt for myself and the rest of ReNee's friends, but we have not lost her. We know exactly where she is.

ReNee is in heaven. Jesus went to prepare a place for her, and when He came to bring her home, He held her hand and she was never alone. The incredible pain she was experiencing near the end of her life here is a memory, and she can run and not ever get tired. Someone said that now, ReNee understands what this was all about. Jesus has explained the plan, shown her the course of her life and what a difference it made in the grandest scheme of things, and she understands in a way that you and I never will on this side of heaven.

The celebration of ReNee's life and her homecoming will be on Thursday. I have a couple ideas what God might want me to say, but the point is going to be this: yes, it hurts, and yes we will miss her. But she's with Jesus. Ain't no better place. And we haven't lost her, because we know just exactly where she is.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers for Lance, Laura, Kyral, the rest of the family, the church family and myself.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks Bill

Unknown said...

Bill, thanks for the reminder of rejoicing because ReNee is home. I can hardly wait for that party myself.

Anonymous said...

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary and Letty

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill for the wonderful words you have said here. It is still so unbelievable! I miss her so much! Having lost my dad 6 years ago I know that the only thing that heals the pain is time and the Lord. I just hate that hurry up and wait feeling. I am hoping after tomorrow the lump in my throat won't feel as big. God bless you and what you are to do tomorrow. I know you have a big job to help us all get through this but God couldn't have given us a better person to do that! See you tomorrow night! Dawn