1.20.2009

History

Today, history was made. Not the kind of 'instant classic' history that our media driven culture deems important, but real history, the kind that in 250 years, if Jesus has not returned, school children will read about. The promise of a free nation, that anyone can rise to the height of their dreams in spite of obstacles, came true today. While I may not agree with Barak Obama on some important issues, I am proud of my country today. I am proud to call myself an American, because "the land of the free and the home of the brave" means something more today.

As a Christ-follower, I am commanded by scripture to pray for my president. I was thrilled to hear pastors pray for wisdom, courage, integrity, strength and all the other important ingredients that will be necessary in the life and work of President Obama to do the hard things of leading this nation.

If you claim the name of Jesus in your life, I urge you to take a moment today to reflect on the freedom that we have as a nation, as a people. Think about the lives that have been given in service to the ideals of freedom that allow this blog to be unedited and unthreatened and allow the worship of Almighty God to go on without interruption or fear of oppression. Then praise God for the United States of America, her place in this world and the opportunities that she gives. Follow that with a time of prayer for our president, because scripture commands it, and because our president needs it.

More than asking, "God Bless America," pray that America Bless God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Here is a website with a guided prayer guide if you or anyone is interested:
www.maxlucado.com/president/prayerguide/

I've had it on my desk today and it has been very convenient.

Hope this is helpful!
Linda

Bill McCready said...

Thanks, Linda!!

Chas Revis said...

Excellent words for a historical day. Indeed, let us celebrate the freedoms we enjoy in America while employing them in the service of the King of Kings.