11.03.2008

Five Places I've Seen God In October

Here are five snapshots of what I've seen and heard God do in and through the Family at First Baptist:
  • A woman in our church brought her father, who is in his eighties, to a worship service. He has been anti-church and anti-faith for a long time and very negative toward his daughter's faith. That he came to church with her is a miracle, but then he spent the rest of the day talking about how the service had touched him, how the music style and the worship of the people on the platform connected to him, and how the message was real and understandable to him was another miracle. The final miracle: he asked his daughter where he could find a church like this in his town.
  • At the conference in Boise, I met a guy who lives in the same town as this woman's father. He is connected to several churches there, and gave me the names of half a dozen that are like ours and might appeal to her dad. When I told her, she smiled so bright, it burned my eyes! Just another divine appointment. You can't make this stuff up!!
  • We sold out of the first 200 I Saw the Lord books, and we have had record numbers of people in Connection Groups during the campaign!
  • Over 100 volunteers, over 500 pounds of candy from our church were able to serve and bless over 5000 people and 14 businesses downtown at Trick or Treat the Old Town Streets. We even saw people from some of the businesses in church yesterday!!
  • The buzz that has started after I spilled a little vision about going to Galveston, TX to help clean up after the hurricane this fall. There are gobs of people talking about this, wanting to be a part of the team in some way. I can't wait to see how it comes together!!
That's five, and I could give you a few more right now, not to mention the ideas that have started to sprout in the hearts of our people. There are going to be lots of opportunities to get our hands dirty and share God's love in a practical way in our city coming our way if we stay open to the idea that we need to follow Jesus and serve in His name. I'm so PUMPED by what I'm seeing! I hope you are, too!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Part of why you are such a great leader is that you share the "God-story" with such great enthusiasm! Way to go FBC Poky!