10.23.2009

What A Pastor Learns From Coaching Football - Part 2

I started this idea last month, and the crazy has kept me from finishing, so here's the next installment. For those who don' t know, I finished my four year commitment to coaching youth football for my son's team. From Mac's fifth grade year until this his eighth grade year, I've coached the defense and special teams. It was quite an adventure, with some huge ups and downs. Along the way, as in everything in my life, I try to keep track of the lessons God tries to teach me. Let me share another:

  • You can lead a linebacker to the running back, but you can't make him tackle.

Coaching defense is about two things - putting players in position to succeed, and teaching them what to do when they get there. I spent hours on the field running them through drills on how to tackle, how to defend a pass, how to rush the passer, how to defeat blocks, etc... all the concepts they needed to know to be successful when the play unfolded in the game. And I developed schemes and game plans that would allow for our players to play in positions and situations that would give them the greatest chance to succeed.

Those things I could do as a coach, I did. But in the heat of the moment in the game, I could do nothing to make a player use what he knew. I could encourage or instruct them to line up in the right place, but I couldn't make them do it. If they didn't want to tackle, they would not tackle.

More than once in the last four seasons, a player was in perfect position to make a game changing tackle, and pulled up rather than put the other man on the ground. It was painful for me as a coach to see them get in position to succeed, knowing they had the knowledge and the skill to succeed, and watch them chose not to succeed.

As a pastor, it's very similar. I can use all the gifts God has given me, I can teach and instruct, challenge and encourage, model and envision what God has said to do and how to do it. But at the end of the day, I cannot make anyone serve. I cannot make anyone pray. I cannot make anyone give, or stop gossiping, or give their heart to Jesus. I have no power to control people, no matter what anyone thinks. I've watched friends in pastoral ministry pull out their hair over people who have all the knowledge they need to be successful in their life and walk and service for Jesus, and then watch helplessly as they make choices to shipwreck their lives, their walk, and their church.

Sometimes pastors (and I'm guilty of this) and coaches (me again!) will take these moments personally. And yes, there are times when as a coach and as a pastor, I didn't prepare my people for the challenge they found themselves facing. At those moments, I have to own my part, and work my tail off to be better prepared to prepare those under my care. But sometimes, the information, the knowledge and experience are there, on board the person in position to 'make a play' in their life, and they pull up short instead of stepping up. At that moment, I can encourage, I can remind, I can recast the vision, but I can't make them do what they already know is right. It's not possible. I can't handcuff them to the chair to keep them from getting drunk, I can't tape their mouth shut to keep them from saying something damaging to their spouse. I can't hack into their bank account and preset their giving to God's work. None of that is possible.

As a pastor, that's painful to admit. I am powerless against the forces of choice in the lives of people in my care. If everyone decided to stay home this Sunday, I'd be in a worship service by myself.

But here's where I have a choice to make myself: as a coach, I don't get to play, so my choices for myself don't make it to the field. But as a pastor, I'm still able to make choices for my own life that end up on the 'field' of ministry. I can give. I can show up for worship. I can serve. I can bring my gifts to ministry. I can invite people to come experience Jesus. I can make my choices.

Pastors - YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO MAKE, EVEN IF YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE!! If no one else worships, you choose to worship. If no one else gives, you give. You don't have to make up for everyone else's giving, but you do have a choice to give. You can serve, so do it. If no one joins you, you will still be honoring your commitment to God and to His larger team, the Church, even if people in your church are choosing poorly. PASTOR - YOU CANNOT BLAME YOUR CHOICES ON YOUR PEOPLE!!

Those of you who are not pastors - YOU CANNOT BLAME YOUR PASTOR FOR YOUR CHOICES. Even if your pastor is not perfect, you cannot put your spiritual choices on hold because you don't like what they are saying/doing/thinking. If your pastor is in sin, point it out to him/her. If they are leading in a direction you don't like, talk to them about it, but remember that God puts leaders in our lives to challenge us as well as comfort and teach us. But your responsibility to the Body of Christ, His Bride, HIS CHURCH does not end because you have a problem with a pastor. You are charged to do your part, so do it. Serve, not because your pastor says, but because Jesus said. Give, not because your pastor needs you to, but because God commands it. Worship, not because you like the music or the message, but because worship is a choice you make in your heart and it honors God.

The Bible teaches personal responsibility. I need to fulfill my role and my part of the Body. Each of us does. And I have a choice whether I will or not. All of us does.

I'm trying to do my part with all my heart. What are you trying to do?

No comments: