4.02.2009

Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself

This blog from Tim Stevens really got me thinking.

From time to time, one of the comments/criticisms we get at FBC is that we pay too much attention to what larger ministries, what some people call mega-churches, are doing. Some times it's simply questions, and sometimes it's a little more critical. We've had people say, "Why do you want to try what those churches are doing?" or, "You just want to be 'Little Saddleback of Pocatello.'" (that's one of my favorites), or"Bill just wants to be like Rick Warren (or Andy Stanley, or Bill Hybels, or...)."

So let me just lay all of that to rest for everyone right now: Yes.

Yes, I want to be AS EFFECTIVE as Rick Warren. I'd hate to have the problems and challenges he's faced, both personally and in his ministry, but if I could be a part of a church that reached thousands of people each year with God's grace and love, experienced thousands of baptisms each year, helped thousands more mobilize in ministries that change the culture of their community and region, and sent thousands overseas on short term missions, I'd really be okay with that. Effective is good. I want to be effective, so yes, I want to be like Rick Warren.

And yes, we as a church pay attention to what bigger, EFFECTIVE churches are doing. Why? Because of all the choices we have, that makes the most sense. We could be the church that never learns from anyone else, but that would be foolish. We could be the church that has to make all the mistakes ourselves, but why not learn from other people's attempts and failures? We can make enough of our own mistakes, why not learn from other people's, too?

I pray, I study God's word, and I lean on the Holy Spirit to guide me. Our leadership folks all do those same things. If it's a choice between what Jesus is telling us to do and what Bill Hybels said to do, I will pick Jesus. But I also firmly believe that leaders need to learn from other leaders, just like teachers need to learn from other effective teachers, businesses need to learn from other effective businesses, and cooks need to learn from other effective cooks. Seriously, have you ever eaten a meal created by someone who's never, ever read a cook book, followed a recipe, or seen someone else prepare a meal? Was it any good?

I choose to spend the limited resources we have in terms of time, talent and treasure on ideas and opportunities that have been tested in other places, then adapt them for use in our culture of S. E. Idaho, rather than think that the only good ideas are the ones that I can come up with here. I get some good ideas myself. And some colossal flops. There are others in our church family that have great ideas, and we need to weigh and filter everything we think about doing in ministry (more on that in a future post) to make sure we are doing the best we can with what we have. I'm just not smart enough, talented enough, or arrogant enough to turn down help from people who have proven to be effective.

I have a strong opinion of pastors that won't learn from others who are getting the job done: I think they are arrogant. If their pride won't allow them to learn from other people, then I guess that's on them.

Rick Warren says, "All leaders are learners. When you stop learning, you stop leading." Feel free to argue with him if you'd like, but I don't have a problem saying I don't know everything. I don't know enough, and I need to keep learning. I also don't have a problem saying I would rather learn from someone who has proven that they know what they're talking about than just anyone with a book deal or a business card or an opinion to share. Call me crazy...

If we ever start talking about changing the name of the church, I guarantee that the words "Saddleback," "Willow Creek," "Northpoint" and "Mars Hill" will not be among those we will consider using. But I also guarantee that we will not fall into the trap of thinking that we can't gain and learn from other ministries who are getting it done for the kingdom. I want my life to matter, and I want to be all that God made me to be. I want to squeeze every ounce of ministry out of my gifts and talents that I possibly can. So I'm always looking for people who do what I do better than I do it, so that I can learn from them.

Who do you learn from?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just talked to you on the phone and shared about the joy of our grand daughter. Thanks for answering the phone so late at night. I know you are focused on mad at church. I’m not mad but a little disappointed in me. I can also identify with the concern about mega churches. I believe we can borrow form the mega churches but should remain focused on this community.

I’m going to start writing now and see how it the ramblings come out. I have been fasting for Lent. The Islam’s have Ramadan where they fast from the time they get up in the morning until sundown. They don’t eat or drink. After sundown they have a simple meal with the family (maybe a soup dinner) and stay in for the evening. For them it is a holy season like Lent is for us. For Lent I decided to fast in the same way, with exceptions. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I go to the gym at 0500 and work out until 0630. With the level I work I believe I need a little water. Also, I drink tea during the day. After sunset I eat dinner with the family (I’ve lost 10 lbs since Fat Tuesday). There are traditional item people give up at lent; meat, cream and alcohol. For me having Ceylon tea with milk is probably like Starbucks for you. I’m having plain black tea with no milk or honey.

I did ignore my fast for my boss’s birthday. We went bowling. I ate because I thought that if I fast and “look down cast”, then I have already received my reward. So, I had lunch and said nothing. Another time I broke the fast was on Monday when my granddaughter was born. I figured that was a day to celebrate. I broke fast today too and feel disappointed about it (more on that later).

I went to work and Mary called on the way to work. I only answered because she knows I’d only answer on the road if it was vitally impotent. She let me know Lacy was in labor and would probably deliver in the morning. I went into the Monday morning meeting and announced I’d leave work for the delivery. Everyone was surprised. They were not aware my child was expecting (I made no announcements after the tragedy of the first birth).

Here is the bottom line. April 6th, 11:19 am, 5 pounds 10 ounces. She is a baby girl named Chloe.

I promised to tell you about being disappointed abut breaking the fast today. I went to work today and was still in a celebrating mood. I ate the donuts brought in by the contractors and chocolate covered raisins a buddy had. So, at praise team practice tonight we had the sacrament of communion. I know that I would have been physically hungry for the sacrament and much more spiritually hungry for the communion if I had continued with the fast today. For the spiritual reason I wish I had maintained my fast.

I’m so thankful for a child my daughter could take home and so disappointed I could not maintain a fast for five more days.

Well, thanks for having a blog I can respond to.

Bill Miller

Bill McCready said...

Mr. Miller,

Sorry to be formal, but if I addressed it to 'Bill', people would think I'm talking to myself. :)

Thank you for sharing. I was surprised myself, and I get why you didn't tell anyone after last year. But I'm so glad for you, for Lacy and Packy, and your whole family. I know that much prayer went into the healing and moving forward of your whole clan after that last year, and I'm glad to have the reminder that God hears, loves and answers.

Don't be too down on yourself, fasting is a growth opportunity, and you will get more chances to grow if you are willing. I am getting back into the habit of fasting, and it's always good when God speaks during those times of giving up to get more of Him.

I'm praying for you, for your family, and rejoicing with you all at the birth of this precious gift. Be blessed, and I'll see you at Easter!!