7.23.2008

To Blog or Not To Blog

I'm here! After avoiding it for many years, and at the request of many folks inside and outside my church family, I decided it was time to start a blog. It goes without saying that I'm new at this, but I'm going to give it a try, and I figure I should tell you my reasons why I want to do this.

First, I'm trying to connect to my culture. As someone who wants to live a life of godly purpose, I want to make the biggest difference I can with the time that I have. However long God allows me to keep breathing and serve Him, I want to make a difference. Blogging is one way that people connect and relate to each other, and it's about time I got on the web and did my part to connect and relate.

Second, I'm sure that communication is a difficult goal in any church, for any pastor, and just plain difficult for all human beings trying to live and work together. I'm hoping that this will help facilitate communication around me. I will link to bloggers that matter to me, show books that matter to me, and try to explain what it is that I'm thinking and praying about so that you might understand me better. If you've ever wondered if pastors are real people, I'm guessing this is one place to find out. If you're hoping to get why I am the way I am, I think this will help (though, I don't always get me, so I can't really expect you to get me all the time, either), and if you want to let me know what you think about any of this, feel free to respond.

As a matter of fact, feel free to respond to anything else you get from me. Didn't get the point of my message on Sunday? Let me know! Not sure what the story was about that I told at a gathering? Drop me a note! Joke that I told wasn't funny? Not my problem... :)

I don't want this to become overly introspective, over hyped or overwrought, but I do hope to keep it real, relevant, and readable. I want to make this a place that serves you and helps me connect, so let me know what you think.

Here's to our time together. May it serve God, serve you and build His Kingdom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Bill,

Peace and blessings to you as you begin this new way of connecting and reaching out to God's people.

Terry Tharp

Anonymous said...

its good to see a leader or senior pastor not afraid to step out in to the unknown and try new things. so... "to blog or not blog"if thats the question and you are trying to connect to your culture i say blog!!

serving with you.
a fellow "roof crasher"

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the digital age, big brother. :)

I look forward to seeing your progress in this area. I know this is an opportunity to put yourself "out there", so to speak, so keep your light shining for Him. When I started blogging, I wrote for myself and my selfish reasons. I've taken a break for awhile, trying to collect myself and write for Christ as He wants. ;) You've done well to start, keep doing what He leads you to do and you'll be alright.

Love,
Beck

P.S. You always have a fan or two in Oregon! ;P Give the family hugs for me!

Trak101 said...

Dear Bill, Rev, The,

I must say, that of all the things I've read, this is easily the most recent.

But seriously, no, not seriously... Ok, um, In all good fun I'm glad to see you reaching out in to the wilds beyond the wilds that be Idaho.

So far, that reach has extended all the way to New Jersey... although "The Wilds of New Jersey" isn't that accurate, more like "The Undertamed and Overtaxed of New Jersey".

The answer to "To blog or not to blog" is of course, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."

Kele

Aaron said...

I didn't get the point. JK!!!

Anonymous said...

its awsome to see a leader or paster step out into the unknown and try new things for christ sake.so "To Blog or Not to blog"if thats the question and you are trying to communicate with your cultur i say blog.blog,blog. or you could say communicate,communicate,communicate!!

one of your fellow roof crashers

Bill McCready said...

thanks for the encouragement, gang!